MBA

ceciliawestphal

MBA

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:19 pm

To whom it may concern,
I hope you can help me as I can't seem to find a clear answer to this question anywhere.
I am in Australia from the States on a student visa, studying Bachelor of Business at Melbourne Uni.
Can I set up a small business on the side while i am studying? And if my business really takes off, can I use it to extend my stay once I graduate?
Thanks for your time, I really appreciate your advice.
Celia Westphal

Rebecca

Re: MBA

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:49 pm

ceciliawestphal wrote:To whom it may concern,
I hope you can help me as I can't seem to find a clear answer to this question anywhere.
I am in Australia from the States on a student visa, studying Bachelor of Business at Melbourne Uni.
Can I set up a small business on the side while i am studying? And if my business really takes off, can I use it to extend my stay once I graduate?
Thanks for your time, I really appreciate your advice.
Celia Westphal

Hi Celia, you simply need to be mindful that you are in Australia on a student visa, and you must comply with the conditions of your visa, and the conditions of your enrollment at Melbourne Uni. You must bear in mind that to be a genuine student, you are here in Australia to study, and only have permission to receive pay for work of no more than 40 hours a fortnight when your term is in session.

Having said that, there is no reason why you can't establish your own business outside of and around your study commitments, and work on your business in your study breaks. In fact, we recommend this as an ideal strategy for helping students cope with the incredibly high cost of living here.

It is unlikely that your business will be able to provide you with a migration pathway, particularly as self-sponsoring for a subclass 457 visa is unfortunately no longer an option for business owners. In most circumstances, the best migration pathway for international students who have achieved an Australian qualification is to apply for a graduate work visa. This can then provide you with a pathway to Permanent Residency, particularly if you are careful to choose a job that is closely related to an occupation listed on the CSOL.
Rebecca Lovell, BA, GradCert, MMIA, MMEA
Registered Migration Agent MARN#1572598
Education Agent and Career Counsellor
Ph: 0487 458 047 Skype: RebeccaBBMA
http://www.ByronBayMigrationAgency.com.au
www.facebook.com/groups/auswanderlust

Return to “Prepare your Business”